16th SWS Europe Chapter conference (on-line)
Connecting wetlands functionning and biodiversity towards nature-based solutions
June 15th-17th 2021
This conference is mainly dedicated to young scientists who are strongly encouraged to submit their work and participate at the conference. A prize will be offered for the best presentation (250€).
The conference is organised by the Society of Wetland Scientists (SWS) Europe Chapter and Tour du Valat. The SWS Europe Chapter was founded with the intent of bringing together wetland scientists and other professionals from around Europe who share common interests in wetland science and management.
SWS Europe is focused on understanding and advancing wetland science, as well as assuring that decision-making processes affecting wetlands are based on an understanding of wetland science. Carrying out this mission requires members who are informed about both the underlying science and the kinds of considerations that affect decision-making, many of which are specific to Europe. In addition, the members are technical and professional resources for one another, but only if members know each other.
Presentations will take place in one 2-hour session per day with keynotes lectures and oral presentations by students and young scientists of their work in:
- Wetland policy and practice
- Wetland restoration
- Nature-based solutions and climate change
This 16th Society of Wetland Scientists Europe Chapter Meeting will be organised online, as a warming-up for the 17th SWS Europe Chapter Meeting which will be held next year, on 14-16 june 2022 in Arles (Camargue-France).
15th , 16th and 17th June 2021 (afternoon only)
- Two keynote lectures each day (2 x 20 minutes with 10 minutes questions each)
- 1 hour of contributed presentations by young scientists (4 x 10 minutes presentations with 5 min questions each)
- Dr Thomas Galewski, Tour du Valat, France – Biodiversity in Mediterranean wetlands : state, threats and solutions
- Prof. Liesbeth Bakker, The Netherlands, Netherlands Institute of Ecology (NIOO-KNAW) – Rewilding wetlands: from wetland restoration to nature-based solutions for climate change adaptation
- Dr. Tobias Salathé, Ramsar Secretariat, Switzerland – Connecting young wetland scientists with other professionals
- Dr Gillian Davies, BSC Group, United-States of America – Rights of Wetlands: A Paradigm Shift to Meet Global Challenges
- Prof. Chris Joyce, University of Brighton, United Kingdom – Wet grassland restoration: principles, practice and prospects
- Dr. Dominik Zak, Aarhus University, Denmark – About smaller and bigger kidneys: riparian zones as nutrient buffers in Denmark
Call for abstracts
Abstracts for oral presentations should be sent before April 15th, 2021
Young scientists are strongly encouraged to submit their work and participate at the conference.
A prize will be offered for the best Young scientists presentation (250€)
You need to be prepared by using the abstract template presented hereby on the downoad section.
Abstracts should be in English and not exceed 4 pages. Abstracts will be checked and approved by May1st, 2021. As a general guideline only one abstract per presenting author will be approved as oral presentation. If accepted, the recorded presentation should be send before June 1st 2021 (in mp4 format, instructions will be sent on beforehand)
The registration fee for this 16th SWS Europe Chapter conference is free of charge but registration is required.
Be careful, registrations are limited to 100!
Registration will be open on 1st March.
Register before May 28th,2021
We recommend non-members to join SWS before registering for the conference. It will strengthen our chapter.
As a quick reminder
Conference date : June,15-16-17th
Free access to the virtual meeting but 100 limited
250 € prize for the best young scientist presentation
Abstract submission : before April 15th, 2021
Abstract approval: by May1st, 2021
Registration before May 28th, 2021
Recorded presentation before June 1st, 2021 (in mp4 format)
Dr Patrick Grillas ([email protected])
Prof. Jos Verhoeven ([email protected])