TUNE UP: AN INNOVATIVE EUROPEAN PROJECT FOR THE CONCERTED MANAGEMENT OF MARINE PROTECTED AREAS IN THE MEDITERRANEAN SEA
The Interreg Mediterranean TUNE UP project responds to the need for a strategic and collaborative approach to the management of Marine Protected Areas in the Mediterranean. The project aims to improve the protection of biodiversity by experimenting and capitalizing on a multi-actor and multi-level management tool based on the experience of river and wetland contracts previously tested during the INTERREG MED WetNet project.
TUNE UP will build on the results of the WetNet project, by exploiting the flexibility and feasibility of the methodology of river and wetland contracts for the management of Marine Protected Areas, and by evaluating its effectiveness through the implementation of Marine Protected Area contracts.
In France, the pilot site selected is the Former Saltworks of Camargue.
Actions and methodology
TUNE UP aims to create a shared vision and joint management through the collaboration of different stakeholders. This integrative approach should lead to better coordination between stakeholders and decision-makers, thus limiting conflicts between conservation and economic issues, and strengthening the objective of protecting biodiversity.
In summary, the project aims to achieve the following results:
- Increased, coordinated and proactive participation of key stakeholders in the management of Marine Protected Areas.
- Improved effectiveness of the management of Marine Protected Areas by integrating multi-level governance tools into national and regional policy instruments.
- Intensification of transnational cooperation and networking of Mediterranean Marine Protected Areas.
- Project leader: Lisa Ernoul
- Staff involved: Marc Thibault, Brigitte Poulin, Nathalie Chokier, Coralie Hermeloup
- Date of project: 2019-2022
- ANATOLIKI SA Greece) (Lead Partner)
- Andalusian Federation of Towns and Provinces (Spain)
- MEDWET – Mediterranean Wetlands Initiative (France)
- MEDSEA – Mediterranean Sea and Coast Foundation (Italy)
- Research Centre of the Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts (Slovenia)
- Ambrakikos Gulf – Lefkada Management Agency (Greece)
- AQUAPROGRAM srl (Italie)
- SEO/BIRDLIFE – Spanish Ornithological Society (Spain)
- University of Roma Tre – Department of architecture (Italy)
- Ministry of Tourism and Environment (Albania)
- University of Montenegro – Institute for marine biology (Montenegro)