WetNet: coordinated management and networking of Mediterranean wetlandsnes
The Interreg Mediterranean project tackles the question of setting up multi-level governance for wetlands. By defining shared priorities for the conservation of wetlands, the aim of WetNet is to develop a common territorial strategy for their integrated management (see the project’s website).
Drawing inspiration from previous European Union experiences (for example river contracts), WetNet seeks to test and transfer “wetland contracts” by means of highly broad-based participative processes where users, and private and public bodies commit to integrating the conservation of wetlands into their everyday activities.
Actions and methodology
- Develop wetland contracts in seven pilot sites including Le Verdier marshes;
- Create methodological tools;
- Set up a summer school in Venice for June 2018 to provide participative training for managers of Mediterranean wetlands to improve their governance.
- Project leader: Lisa Ernoul
- Staff involved: Nicolas Beck, Damien Cohez
- Date of project: 2017 to 2019
- Association des Marais du Verdier
- Veneto Region (Italy)
- Vercelli Province (Italy)
- Research Centre of the Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts – ZRC SAZU
- Fédération des Provinces Andelysiens – FAMP
- SEO BirdLife
- Italian Centre for River Restoration – CIRF
- Wetlands International
- SARGA – Government of Aragon (Spain)
- RCDI (Portugal)
- Gozo Development Agency (Malta)