Eurasian Spoonbill Population dynamics
This project aims to identify the mechanisms that influence the population dynamics of Eurasian Spoonbill (Platalea leurocodia) in Europe. We focus particularly on the colonisation mechanisms of this species, as well as the migration strategies of individuals.
Actions and methodology
This project is based on the monitoring of Eurasian Spoonbills that are tagged in the Camargue when they are young. From 2008 to 2017, more than 2000 juveniles were ringed in the Etang des impériaux. Some birds were also fitted with high resolution GPS/GSM tags, and some with an accelerometer since 2016. In addition to our sightings during breeding, sightings of marked individuals are conducted by our teams or our partners in their where wintering grounds (Tunisia, Algeria, Italy, the Camargue, Mauritania, Senegal, Spain).
In 2008, an international action plan for the conservation of this species was put in place by the Eurasian Spoonbill International Expert Group, a network created in 1991, which was supported by Eurosite until 2013, and since then by the AEWA. The Tour du Valat has been coordinating this group since 2016 following the 8th international workshop on the species, which took place from 23 to 29 November 2015 at the Tour du Valat.
- 2755 birds ringed since the beginning of the project;
- 4850 resightings in 19 countries of 1532 different individuals;
- Organisation of the workshop of the Eurasian Spoonbill International Expert Group in November 2015 at the Tour du Valat.
Project leader: Jocelyn Champagnon
Date of project: Since 2008
- Blanchon T., Kayser Y., Arnaud A., Gauthier-Clerc M. 2010. La Spatule blanche Platalea leucorodia en Camargue : nidification et hivernage. Ornithos 4:217–222.
- Triplet P., Overdijk O., Smart M., Nagy S., Schneider-Jacoby M., Karauz E.S., Pigniczki C., El Din S.B., Kralj J., Sandor A., Navedo J. 2008. International single species action plan for the conservation of the Eurasian Spoonbill Platalea leucorodia. AEWA Technical Series.
- Blanchon T., Champagnon J., Kayser Y., Lopez-Ricaurte L., Isenmann P. 2017. Trois spatules blanches Platalea leucorodia nées en Camargue (Bouches-du-Rhône) contrôlées en hivernage au Soudan du Sud. Alauda 85:231–233.
- Gauthier-Clerc M., Blanchon T. 2010. BILAN DE LA FREQUENTATION DE LA CAMARGUE PAR LA SPATULE HORS REPRODUCTION. In: International Spoonbill Working Group Newsletter Volume 8.