Themes: Management and restoration of Natural and Agricultural ecosystems | Wetland Dynamics and Water Management
Contact: e-mail | +33 (0)4 90 97 29 57
Joined our team: September 2016
Reference ecosystem(s): what relevance for the creation of temporary aquatic ecosystems in the Camargue?
PhD supervised by the Tour du Valat and the Mediterranean Institute of marine and terrestrial Biodiversity and Ecology (IMBE).
- MSc Ecology and Biodiversity Management, University of Montpellier, 2012
- BSc Population and Ecosystem Biology, Aix-Marseille University, 2010
- PhD thesis, Avignon University, co-supervision Tour du Valat and Mediterranean Institute of marine and terrestrial Biodiversity and Ecology (IMBE), since 2018.
Research interests and expertise
Areas of research:
- Restoration ecology
- Conservation/management of flora and habitats
- Invasive alien species
- Plant naturalist
- I am very knowledgeable about Mediterranean wetlands, including how they function, conservation issues in them, and the threats they face
- I also provide training and lead workshops on the conservation of Mediterranean plants.
Current & past projects carried out at The Tour du Valat
|Ecological restoration||Estimate of the resilience of Mediterranean wetlands ecological’s function|
Find below the most recent publications of Hugo Fontes, or see the full list on the Tour du Valat’s documentary web portal:
- Ecological niche differentiation among six annual Lythrum species in Mediterranean temporary pools (2021)de Antoine Gazaix, Patrick Grillas, Guillaume Papuga, Hugo Fontes, Florent Sabatier, Virginie Pons, Perrine Gauthier, John D. Thompson 2021, 13 En ligne : link.springer.com[...] The ecological niche defines the favourable range of a species in a multidimensional space of ecological factors that determine the presence and function of individuals. ... read more
- Comparison of the Virome of Quarantined Sugarcane Varieties and the Virome of Grasses Growing near the Quarantine Stationde Jean H. Daugrois, Denis Filloux, Charlotte Julian, Lisa Claude, Romain Ferdinand, Emmanuel Fernandez, Hugo Fontes, Philippe C. Rott, Philippe Roumagnac In Viruses, 13(5) (2021), 17 En ligne : www.mdpi.com[...] Visacane is a sugarcane quarantine station located in the South of France, far away from sugarcane growing areas. ... read more
- Giving recipient communities a greater head start and including productive species boosts early resistance to invasionde Manon Célia Morgane Hess, Elise Buisson, Hugo Fontes, Léo Bacon, Florent Sabatier, François Mesléard, Rob Marrs In Applied Vegetation Science, Online (June, 2020), avsc.12502 En ligne : onlinelibrary.wiley.com[...] Methods: In a pot experiment, we simulated invasion by three major invasive species (Ambrosia artemisiifolia, Bothriochloa barbinodis, and Cortaderia ... read more
- Heterogeneous forest structures favor persistence of the grassland Mediterranean geophyte Gagea lacaitaede Hugo Fontes, Antoine Gazaix, Guillaume Papuga In Botany Letters, 166:4 (October, 2019), 487-498 En ligne : www.tandfonline.com[...] Land use changes in the northern Mediterranean basin threaten our ability to conserve its habitats and species. Reduced grazing has led to local declines in grassland species and colonization by ... read more
- Estimating biodiversity changes in the Camargue wetlands: An expert knowledge approachde Sara Fraixedas, Thomas Galewski, Sofia Ribeiro-Lopes, Jonathan Loh, Jacques Blondel, Hugo Fontes, Patrick Grillas, Philippe Lambret, Delphine Nicolas, Anthony Olivier, et al. In PLOS ONE, 14:10 (24 oct. 2019), e0224235 En ligne : journals.plos.org[...] Mediterranean wetlands are critical strongholds for biodiversity and the provision of ecosystem functions ... read more
- Nanovirus-alphasatellite complex identified in Vicia cracca in the Rhône delta region of Francede Romain Gallet, Simona Kraberger, Denis Filloux, Serge Galzi, Hugo Fontes, Darren P. Martin, Arvind Varsani, Philippe Roumagnac In Archives of Virology, 163:3 (2018), 695-700 En ligne : link.springer.com[...] Nanoviruses are multi-component plant-infecting single-stranded DNA viruses. Using a viral metagenomics-informed approach, a new nanovirus and two associated alphasatellite ... read more